Print this page
Tuesday, 31 May 2016 14:21

Latin Mass at Mission Hill

In 1866, Blessed Pope Pius IX entrusted the Redemptorists with the miraculous image of Our Mother of Perpetual Help, with the mission: “Make her known throughout the world.” The Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer has fulfilled that mission in Boston at the  Basilica dedicated to Our Mother of Perpetual Help on Mission Hill. The basilica houses a replica of the icon of Our Mother of Perpetual Help. This icon was solemnly enthroned on May 28, 1871, and has been venerated by thousands who seek assistance and cures from Mary, the most loving of mothers. 

missionhill16 2On Saturday May 28, 2016, a century and a half later, the Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary and lay associates and parishioners, attended a Solemn Latin Tridentine Mass celebrating the 150th Jubilee of the icon’s enthronement. 

This was the first time that a Solemn High Latin Mass had been offered in the basilica in over 40 years! The choir of Brothers, Sisters, and lay volunteers sang the Mass from the loft of the basilica and Mr. Michael Olbash accompanied on the organ. What a magnificent tribute to the Mother of God in these stunning surroundings!

Father Braulio Roger Pereira, C.SS.R.  celebrated the Mass and was assisted by Father Neil J. Roy, and Father Thomas Kocik, who acted  as deacon and subdeacon. When the Mass was finished, the priests and servers processed to the beautiful altar dedicated to Our Mother of Perpetual Help as the choir sang the ancient chant of the Sub Tuum - “We fly to thy patronage, O Holy Mother of God.” Following this, the Litany of Loreto was sung in Latin. Father Roger then concluded the ceremony  by reading a beautiful prayer to Our Blessed Mother. Afterwards the congregation explored the shrines of the Basilica leaving their petitions, prayers and lit candles at the altar of the miraculous image.

Following the ceremonies, the celebration continued  in the parish hall with a wonderful repast of traditional Brazilian food provided by friends of Father Roger. Father, who was returning to Brazil, presented the Brothers and Sisters with a hand-painted icon of Our Lady of Perpetual Help as he bade farewell in a heartfelt speech. A second image was presented to his friends in the Brazilian community. We extend our deep gratitude to Father for this historical event and the Redemptorists for the use of the basilica.

View more photos from this beautiful event by visiting the Mission Hill Mass Gallery.